News to Use – December 2021
News to Use is a monthly summary of HR information for all employees of McMaster University.
Final 2021 Pay Statements – final 2021 electronic pay statements will be made available prior to the university holiday closure (December 24 – January 1 inclusive). Employees are encouraged to check their electronic pay statements and submit any pay issues by Tuesday, December 21, 2021 by 12 p.m. Read more in our recent article about final December 2021 electronic pay statements.
Reminder of CPP Increase in 2022 – the Federal government introduced changes that came into effect beginning January 2019 to improve the Canada Pension Plan (CPP). The contributions on earnings covered by CPP increased from 5.25% to 5.45% in January 2021 and will continue to increase for two years. Effective the first pay in January 2022, the CPP contributions will be further increased to 5.70%. The increases in CPP contributions are required to fund the increase to the retirement income that will be paid from CPP to future retirees. More information about the CPP changes can be found on the HR website.
Prep for Tax Season – in February 2022, T4/T4A slips will be available in Mosaic. Please ensure any address changes are completed in Mosaic or through your HR Advisor by February 1, 2022. Stay tuned for details to be circulated about the T2200 tax form soon. For questions and assistance, email email@example.com
Complete the Diversity Counts Census – To support the university’s commitment to enhancing employment equity and inclusive excellence, all employees are invited to complete McMaster’s online Diversity Counts Census at your earliest convenience, which is entirely confidential. To complete the census, Log into Mosaic with your MAC ID credentials. Learn more about completing the census.
Presidents Awards Nominations Now Open – read more and consider nominating those who are consistently outstanding in their service and/or innovation; or, who repeatedly enhance our University’s reputation through their outstanding work.
Did you Know? – Kwanzaa is a celebration of African-American culture that is observed from December 26 to January 1. The festivities include singing, dancing, drums, storytelling, and a communal feast, Karamu, held on the sixth day. Each day of Kwanzaa represents a different principle. Families gather every night to light a candle on the Kinara which corresponds to one of the seven principles.
Save the Date!
- The annual Inspiring from Within (IFW) Employee Development Conference is being held virtually on February 23 and 24, 2022. Registration opens on January 20, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. The theme of this year’s conference is “understanding yourself and others”. Read about the great speakers that are lined up and speak to your supervisor about attending this year’s conference.
- Our annual, Thrive Week, will take place January 24 – 28, 2022. Thrive is a week-long campaign focused on helping students, faculty and staff at McMaster explore their path to Psychological Wellness. Review the HR Events page for upcoming events.
In Case You Missed It – make sure to review these important Daily News updates before the holidays
- Keeping our community safe: A message from the President and Provost
- Extended holiday break: Dec 24th will be a university holiday
- Update on McMaster’s Snow Day Policy
News To Use