Wellness at a Glance: June 2022
Wellness at a Glance is a monthly summary of Employee Health and Wellbeing information for all employees of McMaster University. The month of June relates to Workload Management.
Employee Wellbeing Resources in June focuses on the topics of:
A free tool to help leaders support employee success
Setting Reasonable Expectations:
- Provide supervisors with the necessary time to meet with employees about workload challenges.
- Provide training so leaders have the skillset to support employees to meet their workload requirements.
- Have all leaders work with employees to:
- Create solutions
- Agree on reasonable expectations
- Identify any barriers to success
- Task improvement process | PDF includes a fillable form to help employees focus on specific tasks that require attention.
- The Getting employee commitment for leaders approach actively engages employees in developing a plan that meets the organization’s needs and increases their willingness to commit over the long term.
Strategies to Manage Employee Workload:
- The higher the demands at work, the more important it can be for employees to have some level of control. However, it may not be possible to give employees control over how their work is prioritized due to regulations, safety concerns, customer or patient demands. Explore where employees can have some control over their assigned tasks to help them work more effectively.
- Inform new employees of accurate and realistic job demands and expectations.
- Include explicit and reasonable productivity expectations in job descriptions.
- Review productivity expectations on a regular basis.
- Prepare employees for anticipated periods of increased work, such as seasonal demands and peak shift hours.
Employee Wellbeing Events:
All benefit eligible employees are invited to attend this one-hour Zoom session, hosted by Sun Life Insurance, McMaster’s benefits provider. This session will discuss the basics, such as how to use your online portal, how to submit a claim, and how to use the app. Because different employees have different benefits packages, specifics about your benefits will not be discussed.
3-Part Planning for Retirement Course:
McMaster University has partnered with the Credit Counselling Society (CCS) to offer a 3-part online retirement planning course aimed at helping pre-retirement employees obtain and maintain financial stability in their upcoming retirement.
Participants must be available to participate in ALL THREE of the 2-hour sessions:
- June 15, 2022 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.; AND
- June 22, 2022 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.; AND
- June 29, 2022 from 11 a.m. -1 p.m.
For more information about Employee Wellbeing at McMaster, please visit our webpage.Employee Well-being, Employee Well-being Newsletter