Why the Employment Equity Census is so important – Patrick Deane
Employment equity builds on McMaster University’s work to advance equity and diversity in the workplace. We use it to ensure that the university began with an accurate understanding of the current landscape and to collect the data needed for evidence-based decisions.
The three main reasons for the census include:
- Understanding the current composition of our workforce
- Identifying our university’s areas of greatest need
- Tracking our progress in achieving an equitable workplace
The specific questions used are intended to provide a more complete understanding of representation of all four groups designated by the Federal Contractors Program: women; First Nations, Métis, and Inuit (FNMI) peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities, as well as the representation of trans and LGBTQ+ employees. You can learn more about the census in our Employment Equity Report.
The census information allows us to better understand our current diversity of our employees and will help us to identify what can be done to provide current and future employees with fair and equitable access to employment services and opportunities.
How is my information protected?
You can read the full Employment Equity Census – Statement of Collection for more details.
You can update your employment equity census information at any time.
Completing the Census
All employees who have not completed the census are invited to participate.
- Completing the census will take approximately two minutes
- This census is voluntary. You may check “I do not want to complete the census”
- Each question is voluntary. You may check “I do not wish to answer this question” at any time
- To complete the census now, Log into Mosaic with your Mac ID information (Note – You can access the Census at anytime in Mosaic):
- From the Mosaic Portal, click the down arrow beside “Mosaic Home” and select “Employee Self-Service”
- Find and select the tile for “Employment Equity Census”
The Employment Equity Census is ongoing. You can update your employment equity census information at any time. We encourage managers, supervisors, chairs and directors to share the census information with new employees, committee members and post on information boards within your areas.