Before exploring any learning development options, make sure to have an individual development plan. As you develop your plan, consider the following:
- What are my areas for development? Do I want to strengthen skills or acquire new skills?
- What am I interested in learning about that will support me in my current role? What learning should I consider to support a move to a different role?
- Of the six McMaster Core Leadership Capabilities, which leadership capability am I most interested in developing?
In developing your plan, we suggest a variety of development activities including:
Activities to explore:
- Internal Organization Volunteer Opportunities
- External Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Committee Work (team, department or university level)
- examples: team social committees, McMaster employee committees, pension and job evaluation committees
- Participate in, Coach or Lead an Athletic/ Recreational Teams
- Participate in or Lead an Arts/ Cultural Group
Options to explore:
- Internal Leadership Programs
- examples: Personal Leaders, Knowledge Leaders, Strategic Leaders
- Internal programming
- External Programs (related to role/ subject matter expertise)
- eLearning/Self Study
- examples: LinkedIn Learning
- Workshops/ Conferences
- Industry/ Technical training
- Professional Designations/Certifications
- Health and Safety
Activities to explore:
- Onboarding activities
- examples: New to Organization and/or Role
- Practical operational experiences
- examples: budgeting, strategic planning
- Special cross-functional/ unit assignments
- Project work (team/ department/ university)
- Leading team, department and project group meetings
- Internal and external event management
- Job shadowing/ rotations
Activities to explore:
- Networking (Individual/ Group Events)
- Mentoring (Peer Mentor/ Mentee)
- Coaching (Self/ Peer, Open to coaching and actively practises)
- Communities of Practice (Internal and External)
- Assessments (Personality, Skill, Competency, Leadership)
- Professional Association memberships
- Social media profiles
- examples: LinkedIn
Orientation and Required Training
Education Training Options (HR)
The following learning and development options are sponsored by and offered by Human Resources Services to support the growth and development of all employees at McMaster.
Leadership Development Learn More about Leading at McMaster
Everyone is a leader in their own role! Maximize your leadership capability through our leadership development programs for Personal Leaders, Knowledge Leaders, and Strategic Leaders.
Inclusive Excellence Leadership Program Learn More
This is a professional development series designed to equip people leaders to action EDI priorities through their leadership practice. This program is open to academic and non-academic people leaders.
Employment Equity Training Learn More
Explore equity, diversity and inclusion training offerings for staff, faculty, and students at McMaster University.
Essentials Courses & Programs Learn More
Take short courses on key professional skills offered through McMaster Continuing Education and work towards completing a micro-credential in the areas of Communication, Innovation, Productivity, Team, Leadership and/or Business.
Wellness Education Learn More
Learn about McMaster’s Well-Being programs which are offered year round to support your holistic wellness.
Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) Learn More
With a comprehensive menu of well-being programs and services to match your individual needs and goals, our EFAP can help you define and maintain your personal well-being through education, development, motivation and direct intervention.
Employee Development Conference (IFW) Learn More
This annual conference offers employees the opportunity for professional development, networking with colleagues, and a chance to support their personal well-being.
Education Training Options (University)
The following learning and development options are offered by various areas of the University.
LinkedIn Learning Learn More
Active McMaster students, faculty and staff have free, unlimited access to video tutorials related to business, media and technology through this self-service training site.
McMaster Continuing Education Learn More
Pursue an academic certificate and diploma program to support your professional development in a dynamic world.
DeGroote Executive Education Learn More
Enroll in programs that equip leaders to dramatically increase the value they bring to their organizations. View this information session video (19min) to learn more.
MacPherson Institute Learn More
Offers a wide variety of programs, workshops, services and supports to all members of the McMaster community to cultivate an environment where learning deeply matters, and teaching is valued and recognized.
FHS Office of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Learn More
The CPD office works to advance health sciences and medical education as well as professional development opportunities for faculty members and healthcare professionals.
Inclusion and Anti-Racism Education Learn More
The Inclusion and Anti-Racism Education Program specializes in providing education and support regarding race, equity and inclusion, and human rights.
Accessibility Training Learn More
Accessibility and AODA-related training offered at the university.
Microsoft 365 and Zoom Learn More
Discover and learn about Microsoft 365 and Zoom tools and applications.
Annual Goals & Development Planning Employee Toolkit
Resource for employees in planning for annual goals & development.
Employee Self Review Guide
Use this guide to prepare for employee annual review and goal planning discussions.
How to Set Goals/Objectives
Document that outlines the process of choosing work objectives and development goals.
Questions? Contact us!
Associate Director, Talent, Equity and Development, Organizational Development