Skip to McMaster Navigation Skip to Site Navigation Skip to main content
McMaster logo

Teaching Assistants – Payroll Information

The following information will assist you in understanding all aspects of payments relating to being a Teaching Assistant (including Income Tax receipts and address changes).

Need help? Contact your HR representative by Faculty, call us at (905) 525-9140 ext. 222-HR (47), or e-mail us at .


Additional Payment Information

Your biweekly payments will be deposited directly into your back account.  This method of payment is mandatory. A “Statement of Earnings” showing details of your payment, will be available in Mosaic.  Please ensure you complete your Payment Forms immediately as failure to do so may result in considerable delay in receiving your pay.

All forms listed below must be completed and submitted via e-mail to

Payment Forms: 

  1. Contract and Deposit Form (include VOID cheque) – see below in Forms section
  2. TD1 – see below in Forms section
  3. TD1ON – see below in Forms section
  4. SIN – see more information below
  5. Copy of Valid Study Permit (if applicable) – see more information below

SOCIAL INSURANCE NUMBER (SIN) – It is essential that Human Resources Services has your SIN

For Income Tax receipt purposes Human Resources Services MUST have your Social Insurance Number (SIN).  If you do not have a SIN number, please apply at SERVICE CANADA CENTRE.  Locations include:

Hamilton Mountain Service Canada Centre
1550 Upper James Street
Hamilton, Ontario (corner of Rymal Rd.)
Red Hill Creek Centre
2255 Barton Street East
Hamilton, Ontario (corner of Nash Rd.)

As it may take up to 8 weeks to receive a SIN number, you should apply IMMEDIATELY.

VISA STUDENTS – Student Authorizations

Visa students are required to provide photocopies of their Study Permit to Human Resources Services at the start of employment and each time such study permits are renewed.

NOTE: If you are a returning Teaching Assistant who has previously submitted the above forms, you are not required to submit these forms again. However, if there are changes to the information collected, please re-submit the associate forms.



Employee Contact & Deposit Information Form

Existing employees will complete this form when requesting modification to their personal information. Employees who are new to the University will complete this form during the hiring process.


TA Instructions for completing the Contact & Deposit Information Form

Instructions for completing the Contact & Deposit Information Form for Teaching Assistants


Federal TD1 Tax Exemption

2023 Personal Tax Credits Return - Federal Form


Ontario TD1 Tax Exemption

2023 Personal Tax Credits Return - Ontario Provincial Form