Skip to McMaster Navigation Skip to Site Navigation Skip to main content
McMaster logo

Emergency Travel Assistance

The Emergency Travel Assistance covers you and your eligible family members for eligible services and supplies while you are traveling. To be eligible for Emergency Travel Assistance, you must be enrolled in McMaster`s Extended Health Care plan.


Information Box Group

Important Information for McMaster Employees and Retirees About Emergency Out-of-Country Coverage and COVID-19 Learn More

Latest Sun Life information on COVID-19 impact to out-of-country travel insurance.

Emergency Out-of-Country Travel Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Specific information on your Emergency Out-of-Country Travel Insurance Coverage can be found in the dedicated section of your SunLife Benefit Booklet.

All employees and eligible retirees enrolled in the extended health care plan are covered for 60 consecutive days out of province for emergency medical assistance.  Faculty, Clinical Faculty and Librarians are covered for 120 consecutive days.

Faculty members on extended leaves related to University business or research may submit an application for extended coverage accompanied by supporting documents confirming the approved leave and a $50 cheque for administration fees.

Information for those employees working beyond age 69 can be found here.

If you are traveling and require emergency medical assistance, you must call Sun Life’s travel partner Global Excel Management in advance of receiving any services.  They will validate your coverage and open a claim for you.  It is important to contact them as soon as possible as Global Excel Management will assist you in expediting your claim and they will be able to instruct you on the steps you need to take.  You will need to provide your McMaster employee ID number and the plan policy number (025018).

Detailed information on your emergency travel coverage is in the process of being added to your benefit booklet, however a brochure summarizing the benefit is available.

Travel cards are available in print format within the information brochure. You can also download the Sun Life app and add a copy of the travel card to your Apple Wallet.

Starting January 1, 2020, OHIP will no longer cover any out of country (OOC) emergency care. This includes hospital room, doctor’s fees and treatments. Only Ontarians needing dialysis treatment will have coverage under a new program.  Please find additional information here.

This webpage is not intended to have legal effect. In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency, the official Plan text will govern.