Skip to McMaster Navigation Skip to Site Navigation Skip to main content
McMaster logo

Unpaid Student Placements

The Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) is Ontario’s publicly funded Colleges and Universities (Training Agencies) for students participating in unpaid work placements.  MCU manages students unpaid work placements in accordance with Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) policy and procedures as well as with MCU guidelines.

Information Box Group

NEW - International Student Placement Approval Form Outside of RMM 801 Learn More

International Student Placements have a modified format for approval outside of RMM 801.

Expandable List

All unpaid student placements in funding-eligible ministry-approved programs are eligible for MCU’s coverage.

Please review the Guideline document for further information and eligibility.

Completion of the following will ensure the requirements are met:

Student Declaration Letter

  •  required to let the unpaid placement know, via sign-off,  they have coverage via WSIB or Chubb Insurance (formally ACE) and to report incidents accordingly

Letter to Placement Employers

  • Informing the placement employer that WSIB coverage (or Chubb insurance) is provided, via the MCU, and therefore their respective WSIB standings (i.e. premiums) will not be affected (this can be done within the agreement with your placement agency location).

Pre-placement evaluation for health and safety purposes.

Pre-Placement Safety Orientation Checklist

For information on travel safety and emergency medical coverage while abroad, please visit the Travel, Safety and Planning website.


The Training Agency (college/university) is responsible for arranging students unpaid work placement(s) and providing students and employers with the relevant information and documentation to prior to the commencement of an unpaid work placement.

The Training Agency is responsible to

  • Communicate (all letters/declarations) the roles and responsibilities of the student(s), the employer(s) and the institution(s).
  • Complete the Postsecondary Student Unpaid Work Placement Workplace Insurance Claim Form and submit it to WISB and MCU in the event of an injury/disease.
  • Submit source documentation  to the Ministry for WSIB payment/reimbursement  via fax or e-mail:
    • MCU Claim Form
    • WSIB Form 7
    • Letter of authorization to represent the employer

If travelling outside of Canada for a paid or unpaid student placement RMM 801 Field Trips, Research Activities, Student Placement and Approval Program is required.  For more information please visit our Field Trip, Research Activity and Student Placement page.